Leiden Manuscript of Talmud Yerushalmi
Leiden Or. 4720 is the only extant complete manuscript of Talmud Yerushalmi. It was written in 1289 by Rabeinu Yechiel Ben Yekutiel HaRofeh from Rome, most probably in Rome. The first edition of the Talmud Yerushalmi was printed in Venice in 1523-1524 by Daniel van Bomberghen from Antwerp, more commonly known as Daniel Bomberg, who was active in Venice between 1511 and 1538. Leiden Or. 4720, is the only surviving manuscript that was used by Bomberg for his edition, and the only extant complete manuscript of the Jerusalem Talmud today. It is written on parchment and dated in the year 5049 of the Jewish calendar (1289 CE). In the middle of the 16th century the manuscript was bought from Bomberg by the French ambassador and bibliophile Jean Hurault de Boistailler, who paid twelve gold pieces for it. After his death it passed into the hands of the famous humanist scholar Josephus Justus Scaliger, who moved from his native France to Leiden in 1593. Scaliger died in 1609. He bequethed his collection of Oriental manuscripts and books to the Leiden University Library. In the early 1970s the manuscript was restored by sister Lucie Gimbrere, who replaced the old, but not original vellum binding with oak boards.
The manuscript consists of two volumes. The total number of folios in the manuscript including the binding and the blank pages is 682. The files are very large and may take a long time to load.